Friday 13 March 2015

Banana Chip Cookies

This is one of the many posts I still had in my folder. I thought now would be a good time to neaten it up & post it here since I'm co-hosting the LTU event this month. 


I don't remember why I wanted to bake these cookies.... I think it was because I wanted to use the whole wheat pastry flour which I bought from Mustaffa. That superstore! It always makes me buy things I don't plan to buy! Haha! No worries, you can just use plain flour instead.


Another great thing about this recipe is, it uses banana chips which happen to be my favourite snack. Just one suggestion, don't over bake the cookies as the soft ones are more flavourful than the crunchy ones.


Banana Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup (toasted) wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter - I used 125g.
1 cup natural cane sugar (or brown sugar) - I used 3/4 cup
2 large egg
2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used pure vanilla paste.)
2/3 cup banana chips, loosely chopped
1 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped

Note: If you can't find whole wheat pastry flour, regular all-purpose white flour will work. If you can't find wheat germ, substitute an equal amount of flour.

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 deg F, racks in middle/upper middle. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk together the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, or stand mixer, beat the butter until lightly and fluffy, then beat in the sugar until it is the consistency of a thick frosting. Beat in the eggs one at a time, incorporating each fully before adding the next, and scraping down the sides of the bowl a few times along the way (important!). Stir in the vanilla. Add the reserved flour mix in two increments, stirring/mixing a bit between each addition (but not too much). By hand, stir in the banana chips, chocolate chips and walnuts - mix just until everything is evenly distributed.
  4. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of dough for each cookie onto the prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart and bake for about 7 - 8 minutes, until barely golden on top and bottom, for soft cookies or about 15 minutes for crunchy cookies. Cool on racks.

4 comments:

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Faeez,
I've not used banana chips in my baking. These banana chip cookies look very delicious ^-^! Thanks for sharing.

Zoe said...

Hi Faeez,

I like your interesting additions to the classic CCC. These cookies are beyond being classic now with these banana chips.

Zoe

PH said...

Hi Faaez! I can eat banana chips by the buckets hah..hah... I love kerepek pisang and using it in a cookie is something new to me.

mui mui said...

Hi Cikgu Faaez,
Sorry ya, saya lambat datang ni :p

Me too, me too, when I go the the baking supplies store I always bring home what is not in my list..haha
I love your banana chips cookies and you mention the soft ones are tastier. I actually love soft ones too.

Thanks for shairng this loving recipe to LTU :)
mui

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...