I made Harum Manis a few days ago. It is a type of steamed sponge cake topped with slices of banana. As the name suggests, it's literally sweet smelling. Thanks to the the fragrant caramel-like gula Melaka & the pleasant aroma of the steamed pisang raja.
Recipe by Siti Mastura from Resipi Pesta Perut 2002.
300g gula Melaka (palm sugar)
1 pandan leaf (I added.)
350g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder (I used double-acting.)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla essence
8-9 banana - sliced into about 1/2 cm thick (I used pisang raja.)
- Combine gula Melaka, water & pandan leave in a pot & boil over medium fire until gula Melaka dissolves. Strain syrup & add in butter. Stir well. Leave to cool completely.
- Prepare steamer & grease moulds with oil or butter. (I used kuih lompang moulds.)
- Combine plain flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Sift set aside.
- Beat eggs & sugar until light & fluffy.
- Fold in flour.
- Pour in gula Melaka syrup a little at a time, stirring until well blended.
- Pour batter into moulds until 3/4 full. Top with sliced bananas.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely & remove cakes from moulds.
I'm also linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #2 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.