This is the pound cake that I baked on Thursday evening... was inspired to bake it after seeing the moist cake on Cheryl's blog. Another great marble cake recipe... the cake is moist & has moderately dense texture with fine crumbs. It also has just the right level of sweetness & the banana flavour is just nice. What's lacking is the Nutella flavour... Nobody could actually tell that there was Nutella in the cake... Perhaps adding hazelnuts & more Nutella would enhance the overall Nutella flavour.
Banana Nutella Pound Cake
225g premium unsalted butter, at room temperature (must not be too soft, just until you are able to make a slight impression with your finger)
140g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 eggs, room temperature
200g all-purpose / plain flour (I used cake flour.)
1/4 tsp baking powder (I used double acting.)
1/4 tsp baking soda
35g fresh whole milk (I used UHT.)
100g mashed banana (from 3 small bananas)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (combined with the mashed banana)
- Preheat oven at 160 deg C. Line & grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder & baking soda. Sift & set aside.
- In another bowl, combine butter, sugar, salt & vanilla extract. Beat until pale & creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, & beat until just combined.
- Fold in flour in 3 parts, alternating each part with milk.
- Scoop out about 1/3 of batter into another bowl & add in nutella. Mix well. Add the mashed banana into the remaining batter. Mix well.
- Drop spoonfuls of banana batter into the pan. Then drop a spoonful of the Nutella batter on the banana batter. Continue doing this until finish. (I poured 2-3 parts banana & 1 part Nutella batter.) Using a skewer or knife, swirl the mixture a few times to create a marbled effect.
- Bake at 160 deg C for about 50 to 60 minutes or until skewer inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Remove from pan & leave to cool.
Recipe by Baking Taitai, with slight modifications to the method.