Wednesday 28 December 2011

Brownie Biscotti

Just three more days to 2012 & five more days to the new school term! I can't imagine the chaos on Tuesday as everybody in my house will be leaving the house in the morning. Amir has to leave the house at 6.15  to catch a bus to his new school. In the past, he woke up at 6.15 for school! And for the first time, Maisur will be going to school in the morning. So I can imagine myself raising my voice like a tarzan next week!


I made Brownie Biscotti before we left for our annual trip to Malaysia. This is my first time baking this crispy Italian favourite. This dry & crispy biscuit is perfect when dunk in any hot beverage. I like it with my white coffee. The chocolate flavour is to die for. Must be the Varlhona cocoa!


Brownie Biscotti

Recipe from Better Homes & Gardens, Complete Book of Baking.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup (90g) butter (no substitute)
2/3 cup (130g) granulated sugar
2 tsps baking powder
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Varlhona cocoa powder.)
1 & 3/4 cups (230g) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (80g) miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
1/4 cup (30g) walnuts, finely chopped

For glazing:
1 egg yolk (beaten)
1 tbsp milk or water



Method:
  1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter until softened. Add in sugar & continue beating until well blended.
  2. Add egg & vanilla & beat until well combined.
  3. Stir in flour & cocoa powder.
  4. Finally, stir in walnuts & chocolate pieces.
  5. Divide dough into 2 portions.
  6. Lightly grease a cookie sheet (I line cookie sheet with baking paper.). Shape each portion into a 9x2x1-inch loaf. Place the loaves about 4 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. 
  7. In a small bowl stir together the egg yolk & milk. Brush mixture over loaves.
  8. Bake in a 190 deg C (375 deg F) for 25 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes.
  9. Cut, use a serrated knife, each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay slices, cut side down, on cookie sheet.Bake in a 190 deg C for 10-15 minutes. 
  10. Turn slices over. Bake 10-15 minutes more or until dry & crisp. Remove from cookie sheet & cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am impressed! Looks professional. I have no doubt they taste good.

Faeez said...

Quay Po,
Thank you. They are delicious indeed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...