Tuesday 20 December 2011

Cinnamon Rolls again......

            Many of my friends & relatives are out of the country for their holidays. In fact, I can sense many Singapore residents are out of the country...... the malls are unusually less crowded & the peak-hour traffic is a breeze to drive through. My family & I are still stuck here....My children's 3 different school holiday schedules plus my husband's work schedule pose a challenge to plan a family holiday. We are still waiting for Maliah, my second daughter, to be done with her school camp which ends tomorrow. Thursday will be Amir's reporting day to his new school. So we can only leave the country on Friday........


           In the meantime, the boys are happy at home on the computer & Amirah multitasking between using the computer & watching the television. For me, besides the daily errands, I'm busy playing with my latest toy, my first SLR camera......hehe... I must say I'm overwhelmed! Can't wait to attend the complimentary workshop next week.!
          I also baked cinnamon rolls again, my third time this school holidays. This time, I decided to use the dough recipe posted by Jane of  Jane's Sweets & Baking Journal. I followed the recipe very closely as far as the ingrediets are concerned but I mixed them  using my usual method of mixing bread dough. The dough is very easy to handle, thus making the rolling part less a challenge. However I still keep the roll-out dough in the freezer for a while, considering the hot & humid weather here in Singapore. The cinnamaon rolls are very soft & delicious. I'm sure I'll be using this recipe again!



Cinnamon Rolls
makes one 9x13 or two 8x8 inch pans
Dough:
(Recipe from  Jane's Sweets & Baking Journal)
3 and 3/4 cups All Purpose flour (I used unbleached, Gold Medal.)
2 tsp instant yeast
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 and 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter, unsalted (I used salted.)
1 egg, large
1 tsp salt (I reduced to 1/2tsp.)

Filling:
(You may adjust quantity accordingly..)
4 tbsp butter (softened)
2 tsp cinnamon (I sprinkled generously directy from the container.)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed



Method:
  1. Combine flour, yeast & sugar in a mixing bowl & mix to combine.
  2. Add water, milk & vanilla & mix using a dough hook until combine for about 3 mins. (I'm using  Kenwood cake mixer, so I always use speed no 3 for mixing bread dough, as advised by the service centre.)
  3. Add butter & keep mixing for another minute.
  4. Add salt & mix for another 5 minutes.
  5. Remove dough and mould it into a round dough. Place it in a bowl and cover it with a cling wrap. Leave to prove for about 45-60 minutes.
  6. Remove dough from bowl & punch it to remove air. Divide into 2 portions. Leave them to rest for about 10 minutes.
  7. Then roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick.
  8. Place the rolled-out dough on a pan lined with silicone or grease paper. Then place it in the freezer for about 10 minutes. This way, it's easier to roll up and cut the dough. Continue with second portion. Then remove first dough from the freezer and the pan. Roll out the dough again into a rectangle of about  30 x 20cm (12 x 8 inches). 
  9. Spread soft butter evenly on rolled-out dough. Sprinkle  cinnamon powder generously and evenly, followed by dark brown sugar.
  10. Roll up the dough tightly and pinch the edge. Then cut the log into 9 equal parts & arrange them on a 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) pan lined with grease or silicone paper. Continue with second portion. Leave the dough to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
  11. Bake at 180 deg C for about 35 minutes.
  12. Remove rolls from pans & leave to cool. Spread frosting evenly.
    Cream Cheese Frosting:
    125g cream cheese
    35g butter
    70g powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat  until smooth & creamy. Spread evenly onto the warm cinnamon rolls.

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...