Tuesday 21 May 2013

Red Velvet Cake

Last Monday, it was my turn to prepare something simple to celebrate a colleague's birthday. I had been meaning to bake the red velvet cake I saw Monique made, so I thought it was a good time to bake it. 


Monique called  this the best ever red velvet cake... I can't really say that because I rarely eat RVC. This was my first time baking a RVC. Before this, I think I've only eaten it twice, the cupcake version..... but I don't remember how they tasted. But what I can say is, this cake that I made is really delicious & I like the moderately dense texture too. 


I baked the birthday cake using  8-inch pan. The cake turned out rather high even though I used some batter to make a small cake. For the small cake, I baked a thin layer (about an inch, after baking) in a 6x9 pan & cut 2 round pieces of sponge. I also managed to assemble another small cake using the remnants  from the first two cakes. So I think this recipe is good for two 8 inch 2-layered cakes or  a 9 or 10 inch 2-layered cake.

The smaller cake for home..

The birthday cake...

Red Velvet Cake

Cake
Recipe by Monique @ Divas Can Cook.

2 cups all purpose flour (I used cake flour.)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoon of unsweetened, cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1-2 oz. red food coloring
1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee (don’t skip this ingredient)
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
  4. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until combined.
  5. Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
  6. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
  7. Generously grease and flour two round cake pans (I used 8 inch pans.) with crisco (I used butter.)  and flour. Pour the batter evenly into each pan. Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools. Let cool on a cooling rack until the pans are warm to the touch.Slide a knife or offset spatula around the inside of the pans to loosen the cake from the pan.
  8. Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool. (I sliced away dome top of sponge.)
  9. Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens Complete Baking Book &  Ricke @ Just My Ordinary Kitchen.

250 cream cheese
100g unsalted butter, cold
2 tbsp icing sugar
500ml dairy whip cream (whipped)
4 tsp cold water
1/2 tsp gelatin powder
  1. Combine cream cheese, butter & sugar in a mixing bowl & cream until light & pale.  Set aside.
  2. Place cold water in a bowl. Sprinkle gelatine powder. Set aside for few minutes for gelatine to bloom. Then microwave for about 10 seconds until gelatine is dissolved. (You may double boil it.) 
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat whipping cream  with an electric mixer on medium speed while gradually drizzling the mixture with the gelatin. Add in cream cream mixture  & mix gently until well blended. 

3 comments:

lena said...

both of your cakes look very pretty! to me, i think it's almost to a chocolate sponge cake with cream cheese frosting. i like how you had used the crumbs for decoration.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Oh, well done, nice decorated RVC! ya, I like you use crumbs for decoration too, look special.

Unknown said...

Wow I'm very happy, at last I got currypuff bai recipes, thsnkd yo sweetbitterspicy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...