After making Bengkang Ubi Kayu three weeks ago, I froze the remaining grated tapioca. Then last Saturday, I decided to use it up & make Lepat Ubi, a traditional steamed cake. Just love this kuih.... it's soft & gooey with just enough sweetness & richness. To top it off, there's the mild flavour & fragrance of the banana leaf which makes this kuih a delectable treat.
80g gula Melaka (palm sugar)
1 pandan leaf (torn)
400g grated raw tapioca
100g thick coconut milk
2 tbsp dark brown/black sugar (gula timbang)
1/2 tsp salt
banana leaves (softened & cut into rectangles)
- Prepare a steamer.
- Combine gula Melaka, water & pandan leaf in a small pot & cook until the gula Melaka melts. Strain & leave the syrup aside to cool.
- Combine tapioca, coconut milk, brown/black sugar, salt & gula Melaka syrup. Mix well.
- Take a piece of banana leaf & place some mixture on it, at the center. Fold the leaf in thirds, then fold the two ends. Place on a steamer. Do the same to the rest of mixture until finish.
- Steam on medium fire for about 30 minutes. Leave to cool before serving.
- I defrost the frozen grated tapioca completely before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- To soften the banana leaf, wash & wipe the leaf dry. Then pass the leaf over direct fire until the leave is soft.
- Once you have mixed all the ingredients, you may taste it & adjust the amount of sugar accordingly.