Thursday 20 October 2011

Talam Ubi

           On Tuesday,  I made a trip to Larkin Market in JB with my parents & the boys. My mum loves going to the wet market because of the wide variety of products & the attractive prices. Honestly, I was nervous to drive there that day because of the recent reports of carjackings involving Singapore cars. But I had already promised  her that we'd go there this week. So I just prayed, more than usual, that we had a safe journey. Alhamdulillah, everything went well....

         As I was waiting for my mum at  the frozen food stall, a neighbouring stallholder was arranging his freshly-harvested tapioca. I guessed they were freshly harvested as the soil was still wet, unlike the ones I normally see in our markets where the tapioca look dry. I walked to the stall & selected some. Barely minutes later, my mum followed suit. She too couldn't resist it!
            

           With tapioca & freshly-squeezed coconut milk (I also bought at Larkin market & froze it) at hand, I made Talam Ubi, a traditional Malay kuih, this morning. Talam refers to a 2-layered steamed kuih & ubi is actually ubi kayu which refers to tapioca. I used the recipe used by Ayu of Curlybabesatisfaction. This recipe is originally from Kak Fida at myresipi.com. I'm very happy with the outcome. It's delicious & I like the texture too!


I'm submitting this post to  Aspiring Bakers #12, Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by Small Small Baker.


Talam Ubi
{makes a 9 inch square pan ( I used an 8 inch round pan)}

Bottom layer:
A
550g grated fresh tapioca} (I  chopped the tapioca, combined with water & blend using blender)
150ml water                    }

B
170g palm sugar (gula melaka)
100g fine sugar
135ml water
1 pandan leave

C
1/2 cup (55g) fresh grated coconut
1/2 tsp salt
brown colouring (I didn't use)

Method:
  1. Combine A & strain. Leave water aside for few minutes to allow starch to sink at bottom of container. Slowly pour water out, leaving starch residue at bottom. Then combine drained tapioca & starch residue.
  2. Combine B  in a pot & boil to make syrup. Strain & set aside.
  3. Combine all ingredients (A,B & C).
  4. Grease pan with cooking oil & heat up empty pan in a steamer.
  5. Pour & spread mixture into pan. Steam for 20 minutes.

Top Layer
580ml thick coconut milk OR 200ml KARA + water [I used 250ml freshly-squeezed coconut milk (from 1 coconut) + water]
60g rice flour
20g tapioca flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
  1. Combine all ingredients in a pot & cook over medium fire, stirring continuously until steam can be seen coming out & mixture is slightly thick. Turn off fire.
  2. When bottom layer is cooked, scrape surface gently with  folk. Then pour mixture for top layer slowly & steam for about 25 minutes.
  3. Once cooked, remove pan from steamer & leave to cool completely. Cut kuih using a plastic knife.

    5 comments:

    ady said...

    as-salam
    wow mmg suke kueh ni..dah lam tak buat..

    Faeez said...

    Waalaikmslm,

    saya & family pun suka...cubalah resepini, kuihnya jadi lembut & sedap!

    Unknown said...

    I love the consistency of tapioca, so I think I wanna try this at home. By the way, my mom and I love to go to wet markets too. In any place we visit, my mom stops by a wet market to buy fresh fruits, veggies and meat. Since we're not familiar with most of the places we visit, the easiest way for us to find wet markets is to look for whirlybirds around a crowded area. Works all the time. Thank you for the recipe!

    farah said...

    Can you tell me why you add the water and then strain the grated tapioca to get the starch residue? Would it make a difference if this step was omitted.

    Faeez said...

    Farah, I blended the tapioca root myself, so I needed to add some water. Yes, you can omit the water if you are using grated tapioca.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...