Saturday 19 January 2013

Jeneket

I just love this cool weather....... especially since it's Saturday.. Makes me feel like parking myself in front of the tele, lie down on the carpet & watch a good comedy, although I think, I'll most likely doze off....  Unfortunately, these days, rain or shine, weekday or weekend, I'm hardly at home in the afternoon, much less lying down & watching the tele. Anyway, the weatherman says tomorrow's weather will be quite similar to today's, so looks like it's another cool day  for us here in Singapore. Cool......


This morning, I fried some jeneket, a traditional snack commonly found in stalls selling kuih. It brings back memories during my primary school days when I used to buy it from the canteen for only  5 cents a piece! Those were the days..... Today, my kids don't even  value five cents anymore. Just the other day, my youngest son asked me if the 5-cent coin is still accepted when  paying  for any purchases... 


I've made jeneket a few times before but I've yet to find a good recipe. Now I think I've found it! It's soft & tasted  right except that I would add about a spoonful more sugar the next time I make this. The recipe in the book calls for a kilogram of flour but  I decided to make only a quarter recipe.


Jeneket
Recipe by Aini Salim from Kuih Dari Singapura.

Ingredients:
250 plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda (I used potash, aka 'potas'. Refer here for more details.)
50g sugar
60 ml hot water
60 ml fresh milk
1 egg (lightly beaten)
12g butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla paste (I added.)
oil for deep frying

Method:
  1. Combine flour, baking soda & baking powder & sift. Set aside.
  2. Combine sugar, hot water & milk & mix well until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
  3. Combine  milk mixture & flour & mix well. Then add in eggs, butter & salt & mix, preferably using a cake beater,  until well blended, 
  4. Set aside overnight.
  5. Grease a flat pot cover (I used the base of a kuih lapis presser). Dip fingers into some oil.
  6. Take some dough with greased fingers & place it onto greased pot cover, flattening dough using  fingers. Gently, slight the dough into the hot oil.
  7. Fry until golden brown. Serve warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you soo much for the recipe... always bought myself this every morning a aunty selling this at the void deck from 5 am... now will try myself with this recipe if its gone wrong then I shall just keep buying fron her... hehehe... thanks alot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...