Wednesday 8 April 2015

Bengkang Ubi Kayu (Tapioca Cake)

I accompanied my mum to the wet market in Bedok last Friday. One thing I like about the wet market is that things are generally much cheaper there than those from my neighbourhood market. There's also a stall that sells freshly-grated tapioca, something that's not sold in all markets. So I bought 1 kg of the grated tapioca, even though I had no plans to make anything with grated tapioca. I also bought a couple kilos of pisang tanduk with which I made banana chips.


Every time I think of what to make with grated tapioca, I always end up making some traditional kuih. Honestly, I can't think of anything else. This time, I decided to try a recipe from a book by Mdm Hasma Noor Basir. As I looked through her book, her beautiful Bengkang Ubi Kayu really tempted me into baking it. As you can see, the kuih is so beautiful...... It tastes great too, not overly sweet or rich. The only thing I would change is, I would add about 50 ml more coconut milk or water as I like my kuih to be softer.



Bengkang Ubi Kayu (Tapioca Cake)

Ingredients:
270 ml coconut milk
500g grated & strained tapioca
2 tsp tapioca or sago flour
160g granulated sugar
1 tsp coconut powder or milk powder
1 egg
10g butter or margarine
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (I added.)
a few drops of yellow colour
butter for greasing the baking pan

Method:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan & mix until well blended. Then heat up the mixture on a stove over low fire. Keep stirring & cook until the mixture becomes thick.
  2. Pour the mixture into a greased baking pan measuring 6x6 inch.
  3. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for about 45 minutes or until the cake turns golden brown.
  4. Leave the cake in the pan to cool completely. Remove the cake from the pan & slice using a plastic knife.
Notes:
  1. The above recipe is just 1/3 of the recipe in the book.
  2. I lined the bottom & sides of my baking pan with a piece of aluminium foil, leaving it to overhang from the pan. Then I greased the aluminium foil before pouring in the mixture. To remove the cake from the pan, I just lifted the aluminium foil.
  3. I baked the cake for 45 minutes using top & bottom fire. Then, I left it to continue baking for another 5 minutes using only the top fire.
Adapted from Talam Klasik Malaysia by Mdm Hasma Noor Basir.

8 comments:

Joceline Lor said...

wow ... so nice . This is my favourite ~

Anonymous said...

Hi, after looking at your kueh, I am tempted to it. May I know where can I get the tapioca? You mention is at Bedok. Is it possible to have the address of the wet mkt? Thank you. --Jennifer

Karen Luvswesavory said...

I love tapioca but haven't attempt oven baked version. Your Bengkang Ubi Kayu looks great & delish.

Anonymous said...

I like Bingka Ubi. Which Bedok wet market did you go to ?

Regards,Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hi may I know where in Bedok can I get the grated tapioca? Thank you.

Faeez said...

Hi ladies, the wet market is at blk 538, Bedok North St 3. :)

Kimmy said...

I used to steamed or baked tapioca kuih when I could get grated tapioca together with coconut milk etc from the same stall at the wet market Either steamed or baked they are always good. I'll keep this recipe to make this kuih again but I have to grate the tapioca myself cos' the stall ain't selling it now.

mui mui said...

Hi Faeez,
This is my favorite too.
How nice you can buy grated tapioca over at your place.
mui

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...