Monday 29 June 2015

Semolina Cake

Time really flies  when you're having a good time.... The school holidays are over!! Sigh.. I thought I could update this blog more often but clearly I had failed. I hope I'll be able to make up with more posts these coming weeks.... I'm pretty confident. I've already started baking cookies for Hari Raya & all the three cookies I baked on Friday were new recipes. So those recipes coming up in the next few days...


This sugee cake was baked more than three weeks ago for a tahlil gathering at my cousin's place. I had wanted to bake a sugee cake for a long time but, I don't know why, I kept putting the idea off.. So I thought it would a good time to bake one. I decided to use Petite Nyonya's recipe as it looked quite simple... at least I didn't have to soak the semolina in the butter overnight like in some recipes. And best of all, it tastes sooo good... As my cousin said, it's the perfect sugee cake... very moist, good texture & easy to make! She gave this verdict after tasting the one I made & making three batches for another tahlil held at a mosque.
The cake you see in the pictures has actually been stored in the fridge for two weeks. It looks more dense & oily & it doesn't taste as good as when it's freshly baked. So my advice is you consume the cake within a few days as its texture & taste deteriorates over time.



Semolina/Sugee Cake

Ingredients:
140g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder (I used 1 tsp)
100g semolina
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
100ml fresh/UHT milk
2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
250g butter, at room temperature
200g sugar (I used only 170g)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp almond powder (My cousin added this when she baked hers.)

Method:
  1. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in semolina, almond powder (if using) and salt. Mix well.
  2. Beat eggs, milk and vanilla essence together in a bowl.
  3. Cream butter, sugar and honey till light and fluffy. Gradually trickle in egg mixture, beating constantly. Mix in flour mixture on low speed and stir till well combined.
  4. Spoon the batter into an 8-inch cake tray lined with baking paper.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes at 150 deg C or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
  6. Cool cake for 15 minutes, then remove it from the mould and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
  7. Decorate as you like or have it as it is. Best served with a cup of tea.
Source: Petite Nyonya's Kitchen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kak.. semolina nie selalunye kasar kan. Kene kisar dulu tak eh? I selalu beli yg housebrand semolina....

Dewi

Faeez said...

Dewi,
Tak payah kisar semolina tu, gunakan gitu aje...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...