Thursday 15 August 2013

Lucky Hoof Roll a.k.a Roll Tapak Kuda

Wishing all Muslim readers Eid Mubarak. Hope you had a blessed & great time with your loved ones. Today, I'm sharing a recipe of an all-time favourite roll cake... so I realised.. I made Lucky Hoof Roll or Roll Tapak Kuda for my mum & she reported that it was so popular with the guests that it had to be replenished, again & again & again.....


Although I learnt to make this roll from Mdm Aini Salim many years ago, I think I've never made it for Hari Raya before. My sis, who is also my used-to-be hari raya  co-baker, asked how come she's not aware of the existence of such cake! Well, the only reason I decided to make this was because I thought it would be easier than making the colourful African Mambo Roll which I normally made for my mum every year. I was right, it's easier to make this roll & is as popular, if not more popular than the regular roll cake. I'd probably be baking this from this year onwards!


Lucky Hoof Roll (Roll Tapak Kuda)
Recipe by Aini Salim.

Ingredients:
10 egg yolk
5 egg white
225g caster sugar
30g ovalette (cake stabilizer)
*110g plain flour or top flour
*1/2 tsp baking powder (I used double-acting.)
135g butter (melted)
*10g milk powder or vanilla ice-cream powder
(* sifted together)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp chocolate emulco
Nutella chocolate spread OR hazelnut paste OR Nutella chocolate filling (recipe follows)
** I used Nutella chocolate filling.

Method:
  1. Prepare baking pans. Line & grease pans. Set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolk, egg white, sugar & ovalette & beat until thick & fluffy. Add in flour & continue beating until well mixed.
  3. Add in melted butter & vanilla & mix well.
  4. Scoop up 5 big spoons of batter into a bowl & mix it with the chocolate emulco. Then pour into baking pans (Refer below for dimensions of pans.). Spread batter evenly.
  5. Fill the rest of plain batter into a piping bag. Pipe batter onto chocolate layer. (I did not use  piping bag, just spooned batter.)
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 deg C. Once cooked, remove pan from oven. Then remove cake from pan & leave to cool.
  7. Once cooled, cut off the edges of the cake. Then cut into 2 or 3, depending on the size of the pans. Spread Nutella / hazelnut paste / chocolate filling on the cake & fold into two. Wrap rolled cakes with grease paper or cling wrap & chill cakes before serving.
Dimension & number of pans used as suggested by Mdm Aini Salim:
1. two 10x10-inch pans - cut each pan of cake into 2, so total rolls yielded is 4, or
2. two 12x10-inch pans - cut each pan of cake into 3, so total rolls yielded is 6, or
3. four 9x9-inch pans - cut each pan of cake into 2, so total rolls yielded is 8.
*** I  used option 1.

Chocolate filling:
200g  Mohrenglane / Tulip / Selbourne chocolate
1/2 cup (125g) butter (melted)
1 bottle (400g) Nutella

Melt chocolate using double boiler. Add in melted butter & Nutella & mix thoroughly. Set aside to cool & thicken it before spreading onto cakes. ( I placed the filling in the fridge for few minutes so that it will thicken, but don't leave it there too long or it will harden.)

I am submitting this post to the Little Thumbs Up "Egg" event organised by Bake for Happy Kidsmy little favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out. Take a look at other egg recipes here.

19 comments:

Baby Sumo said...

Hi Faeez, thanks for linking this to LTU and nice knowing you too. This cake must be very rich, judging from the amount of egg yolks used. It looks so nice, and I love the auspicious name too, maybe I can make this during CNY too :) -Yen

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Faeez,
This looks delightful! I'm sure this would be perfect with a cup of kopi-o!

Zoe said...

Hi Faeez,

I reckon that I will be lucky if I get to enjoy these Lucky Hoof Roll. These will surely put lucky smiles on everyone's faces.

Zoe

Ana said...

Hi, how do you put such thick chocolate filling? I tried and the chocolate oozes out creating a mess.

Faeez said...

Hi Ana, the chocolate filling needs to be cooled down for some time & it will thicken. I will usually put it in the fridge for few minutes until it thickens. Don't leave it there too long or it will harden.

Anonymous said...

Hi Faeez, can I replace "Mohrenglane / Tulip / Selbourne chocolate" with any other chocolate such as Cadbury chocolate? :)

Faeez said...

Hi there, yes you can.

Anonymous said...

hi, where to get the milk powder and usually what brand is it?

Faeez said...

I usually use Nespray full cream milk powder but it's usually sold in packets of 500g. You can get it from any supermarket. Baking suppliers like Phoon Huat (in Singapore) do sell in small packets.

Lyn said...

Hi! I had an issue with this cake, after I put in the melted butter, my batter deflated and it just failed after i baked. there was no cake texture at all :( do you have any tips? Thanks!

Shahirab said...

Hi. For the filling could we just solely use nutella and spread it?

Anonymous said...

Hi. For the filling could I just use nutella only?

Faeez said...

Lyn, I can't pinpoint exactly what's wrong but I don't think the melted butter is the cause. Just a few pointers, the batter must be thick before you add in melted butter. If you're using a handheld beater, you need to beat the mixture for at least 10 minutes to get the thick batter. The cake stabilizer helps to produce that thick consistency without much problem. Always check that you've added all the ingredients accordingly. Hope you'll try again. Good luck.:)

Faeez said...

Shahirab & anonymous, yes, u can just spread nutella only,

jolifemme said...

My cake cracked when I fold.. You know why?

Unknown said...

Hi..I tried baking your cake..It turned out well until I had to roll the cake into half..It cracked and break into two..Can you tell we what went wrong and how can I fix this??

Faeez said...

Jolifemme & Wahida, before rolling, place the cake on a tea towel or grease paper. Then lift up the towel or paper & quickly roll the cake. It has to be done fast or the cake will crack. Also, make sure the cake is not overbaked as that can also cause the roll to break easily. Keep practising & you'll be ok. Just to reassure you both, sometimes, mine still cracks even after making so many times.

vanlle said...

Hello, Im just wondering if the batter will deflated or not, if left alone for too long?

Its because I had such a small oven, I can only fit in one pan at a time. I had 9" in square pan, so I have to bake four times..

Thank you! Hehehe

Syairah Khamis said...

The colours mixed for mine!!! how did you do it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...