Friday 30 August 2013

Lapis Strawberry Ice-Cream

I bake Lapis Strawberry Ice-cream every Hari Raya. It's hard not to, as I'd always be reminded by my youngest son not to forget to bake it. Although I've shared this recipe two years ago, I'm sharing this again.... with new pictures & rewritten recipe. Also, I added some tips... hope they'd be helpful to the novice lapis baker.


Some tips when baking lapis cakes:
  1. I always bake my lapis cakes in my 20-year-old Baby Belling. I tried using my other ovens, but it took a longer baking time. So if you are using Belling oven, set the grill to No 3-4. That I believe is about 180-190 deg C. To gauge what temperature to set the oven at, bake each layer at a temperature such that it will cook & the top will turn golden brown in about 2-3 minutes. (Warning: don't try to wash the dishes while waiting for the layer to cook or your cake will end up burnt!) Just bear in mind, each layer must be cooked before baking another layer or the uncooked layer will not cook even after baking the next few layers.
  2. Once the mixture is ready for baking, do not stir the mixture anymore. Just scoop the top part of mixture onto the pan... the bottom of the mixing bowl may contain water or oil residue. Do not use this residue as, if baked, it will produce a hard layer.
  3. To produce nice & even layers, the amount of batter scooped for every layer must be the same. I usually just scoop 2 ladleful for each layer. But this time I used 100g for each layer.
  4. After baking the final layer, I usually bake the whole cake for 10-15 minutes using the top & bottom heat at about 180-200 deg C. This step is required, especially for very moist lapis cakes, so that the cake, especially its sides, is fully cooked & not so wet.
  5. As most lapis cakes contain a very high fat content from the eggs & butter, they keep very well! They freeze very well. I normally cut my whole cake into 4-5 parts. Then I wrap each part with a cling wrap, & then with an aluminium foil & followed by a newspaper. Then I freeze it if I'm keeping it for more than a week. Before serving, I  just leave it in room temperature for a while before cutting.


Lapis Strawberry Ice-Cream 
Recipe by Hawa Ismail from Resepi Pesta Perut. 
(I modified & simplified the method in the book.)

Ingredients:
450g butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
24 egg yolks
5 egg whites
280g fine sugar
80g self-raising flour
1 tbsp ovelette
130g milk powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
170g strawberry ice-cream powder (I used vanilla ice-cream powder & added 1 tsp strawberry paste)
150g strawberry ice-cream (softened)
pink colouring

Method:
  1. Preheat oven at 180 deg C. Use top heat only. 
  2. Line & grease (based only) of a 10x 7-inch baking pan. Set aside.
  3. Cream butter & vanilla essence until white & creamy.
  4. Combine egg yolks, egg whites, sugar, self-raising flour & ovelette in a mixing bowl & beat on high speed for about 7 minutes until thick & fluffy.
  5. Add in butter & mix thoroughly. (I used a hand whisk.)
  6. Divide mixture into 2 parts.
  7. Add in milk powder & vanilla essence into 1 part & mix thoroughly.
  8. Add in strawberry ice-cream powder, strawberry ice-cream & pink colouring into another part & mix thoroughly.
  9. Pour 2 ladles of plain batter (this time, I weighed 100g) into  baking pan. Grill for about one & a half to two minutes or until the cake is cooked & the top turns golden brown.
  10. Repeat step 9.
  11. Then pour 2 ladles of strawberry batter into pan & bake.
  12. Repeat step 11.
  13. Then continue baking 2 layers of plain batter followed by 2 layers of strawberry batter until finish.
  14. After baking the last layer,  bake the whole cake using top & bottom heat at 200 deg C for about 10 minutes.
  15. Remove cake from pan and allow to cool on a cooling wire rack before serving.
I'm submitting this post to the:
  1. Little Thumbs Up "Egg" event organised by Bake for Happy Kids &  my little favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out. Take a look at the other egg recipes here, &
  2. Cook Your Books No 3 organised by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

16 comments:

Jozelyn Ng said...

Your lapis looks so neat and so nice!

PH said...

Faeez, your lapis cake is gorgeous! Wish I could bake a nice one like you.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Faeez,
WOW! Your cake lapis looks so beautiful and perfect! The layers are so evenly layered! I have never attempted to make cake lapis before. Thanks for all the helpful tips that you've shared.
And thank you for linking to CYB!

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Hi Faeez, your lapis looks amazing! No wonder you son requests for it everytime! Will definitely keep this lapis recipe for my future lapis bake ;)

Victoria Bakes said...

beautiful! such even bakes

Baby Sumo said...

I really admire ppl who have the patience to make kek lapis. Yours look absolutely gorgeous, I love the colour and how neat it looks. Thanks so much for linking this to LTU!

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Wow! This is simply LOVELY! I've never make kuih lapis before . Thanks for the tips.

mui mui said...

Hi Faeez,
Thanks for sharing such lovely kuih lapis to LTU.
I admire your neat and tall cake :)
mui

rossalle said...

Boleh tak beri info method no 3 dan 7 vanilla 2X gula masuk masa bila.

Faeez said...

Rossalle,
Oopps, saya silap tak sertakan gula utk step 4. Saya baru update... tq. Vanilla pula memang dicampur 2x, yang pertama untuk seluruh bancuhan & yang kedua pula untuk satu bahagian saja, setelah bancuhan dibagi dua.

Elly said...

Salam.. Do you take order for this?

Shaleha said...

Thank you for sharing your tips & storing of the cake. May Allah bless you. Aameen.

Faeez said...

Salam Elly. Sorry, I don't.

Faeez said...

Shaleha,
Thank you, Aameen.

Ati said...

Ini pakai ice cream yah? Jadi ice cream sdh leleh waktu dicampur? Dan pakai self raising flour bukan cake flour yah..

Faeez said...

Ya, betul tu Ati. Tapi ice-cream tu biar lembut saja, jgn hingga jadi air... Selamat mencuba. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...