Since reflecting on my collection of books, I've looked through some of them, bookmarked some recipes & will do my best to use them. Today I've chosen a recipe from Classic Essential Puddings from the Family Circle Promise of Success series.
I made the classic Bread & Butter Pudding using pandan bread. However. the strong flavour of the vanilla & cinnamon kind of kills the pandan flavour. Still, this pudding is very delicious & I like it better when chilled. Please try baking this......it's really worth it! Besides, it's really easy!
Bread & Butter Pudding
(makes a 1-litre shallow baking pan)
1/2 cup (60g) mixed raisins & sultanas
2 tbsp brandy or rum ( I used grape juice.)
30g butter, softend
4 slices good-quality white bread or brioche loaf (I used pandan bread.)
1/4 cup (60g) castor sugar
3 cups ( 750 ml) milk
1/4 cup (60ml) cream
1/4 tsp vanilla essence (I used vanilla paste.)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
D( for sprinkling)
1 tbsp demerara sugar - this gives crunch topping (I didn't use.)
- Combine A & leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Butter the slices of bread or brioche & cut each piece into 8 triangles. Arrange the bread in a 1 litre shallow ovenproof dish.
- Beat C in a large jug. Add A (including the liquid) & mix well.
- Pour the custard over the bread. Make sure the fruit is spread out evenly. Cover & refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180 deg C (350 deg F). Sprinkle the pudding with the demerara sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the custard is set & the top is crunchy & golden.