Thursday 14 August 2014

Lapis Legit

Many of you may find baking lapis cakes not your cup of tea.. I know....... the thought of baking layer by layer & sitting in front of the hot oven for an hour or so may be just too daunting. I, on the other hand, love the challenge of baking lapis cakes, especially if the cakes come out right! 


After many years & numerous lapis cakes, I've gotten the hang of baking them. But the journey had not been smooth sailing, especially the initial stage. I started baking lapis cakes when I was still a teenager when I helped my mum to bake for hari raya. I remember we would spend hours & hours baking just one lapis lengit! It was a labourious  undertaking! Surprisingly, I didn't give up. Instead, I was determined to find out if we had done the right way. So I decided to attend a lapis baking class conducted by Kak Wannah. Then I realised that my mum & I had baked the wrong way..... same recipe, but totally the wrong way of baking. Since then, I've gained more confidence, my lapis cakes have improved a lot & the rest is history.....


I decided to bake this lapis lengit after reading Rima's positive feedback. I was confident the recipe is a good one because if the queen of lapis said it's very good, then it must be very good! Totally agree with her.... the cake is very moist & delicious! So if you are game with baking a lapis cake, this is one recipe you must try. But please read the notes below as I made some modifications to the original recipe.

Notes & modifications:
  1. If you're wondering if there's any typo, the answer is no! All the numbers in the recipe are correct.... 30 egg yolks....53g flour.... etc, etc. :D
  2. The original name of the cake is Lapis Lengit Mini, mini because the cake is quite low, just about 10 layers. I wanted my cake to be taller, so I used 1 & 1/2 times the original recipe to get my 15-layer cake. 
  3. The original recipe also has mix fruits added to the last layer.  I omitted the fruits totally.

                          

Lapis Legit

Ingredients:
450g salted butter
38g sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp vanilla paste / essence
30 egg yolks
300g caster sugar
53g plain flour (I used cake flour.)
38g milk powder
a few drops of green colouring
1/4 tsp pandan essence (I'll add more next time.)
2 tsp spekkoek powder (aka lapis spice powder or rempah kek lapis)

Method:
  1. Combine butter, condensed milk & vanilla paste/essence in a mixing bowl & cream until pale.
  2. In another bowl, beat egg yolks & sugar until thick & fluffy. Add in sifted flour & powder milk & mix till well blended. Then add in creamed butter & continue mixing until well combined.
  3. Divide the batter into 3 parts. Add green colouring & pandan essence into 1 part & mix well. Add spekkoek powder into the other two parts & mix well. (I combined the two parts before adding in the spekkoek powder.)
  4. Pour 90g of spekkoek batter into a 10x7 or 8x8-inch lined & greased pan. Grill in a preheated oven using top fire only until cooked & the top turns slightly brown. Remove pan from the oven & press the top of cake using a lapis presser. Repeat the same process for the second layer.
  5. For the third layer, pour 90g of pandan batter & grill. Then continue with 2 layers of spekkoek & 1 layer of pandan until finish.
*For more tips on baking lapis cake, refer to my post here.

Adapted recipe from Sedap, Sedap, Cantiknya Kue-kue Mungil.....
Source: Enjoyable Baking.

I'm linking this post to the Little Thumbs Up August (flour) event, organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe.

12 comments:

mui mui said...

Hi Faeez,
I am admiring your cake lapis. It is so nicely and neatly layered. simply fabulous! I love to bake cake lapis too must try this awesome recipe of yours.
Can I only baked half of the recipe? What size cake tray should I use?
Thanks for sharing this to LTU!

mui

Faeez said...

Hi Mui Mui, yes, you must try baking this.... You may bake half this recipe in a 6x6 inch pan, or if you don't mind a lower cake, then just use the original recipe (using 20 egg yolks) & stick to 8x8 or10x7 pan. Pl refer to Rima's blog entry for the original recipe. Hope this info helps. :)

Victoria Bakes said...

Faeez, you are so good with all these lapis and kueh!! next time i wanna order from you!

sham said...

What is a lapis presser? And u said grill? Is there a diff between bake and grill? What's the temperature ?

Faeez said...

Victoria, why don't you try baking it...? I'm sure you can do it! :)

Faeez said...

Sham, take a look at my Lapis Nutella entry, I inserted a pic of a lapis presser. For lapis cake, we usually grill each layer, i.e. we only use the top fire. Most other types of bakings, we bake using both top & bottom fire.

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Each time I see your lapis, I just want to cry. BEAUTIFUL~~

Andre C said...

SO impress with your talent at baking lapis cake! Not just it is time consuming but you just made the layers equally to perfection!

Faeez said...

Diana,
Awww.... don't cry..... Try baking one, or more... & you'll get better. :)

Faeez said...

Andrea,
Thank you. I'm quite fussy with how my lapis turns out, the look & taste.

Anonymous said...

hi, can we omit the milk powder?

-Aisyah

Faeez said...

Aisyah,
Yes, I think u can. It's just for flavour.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...