Friday 1 August 2014

Lapis Nutella Cake

Let me start this entry by wishing all my Muslim readers Eid Mubarak & Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri. How was your celebration so far? Hope it has gone well.... Alhamdulillah, mine has been good so far. We only went visiting on the first day since that was the only public/school holiday. So the visiting will have to continue this weekend.


Tonight's sharing will be the recipe for the Nutella Lapis which I made for the two mothers. As I've mentioned before, I usually prefer to bake 2 lapis cakes together, so I decided to bake the same cake for my mum & mum-in-law. 


I don't think you would be wondering if this cake tasted good.... it's Nutella cake! It can't go wrong, right? Besides, there're condensed milk & Horlicks too, & from my experience, any cakes that have any of these three ingredients will not disappoint me. However, this cake did take up more than the usual time to finish baking. It took me 2 & a half hours to complete baking the two cakes, almost an hour more than baking other types of lapis cakes. So you do need more patience if you wish to bake this Nutella lapis cake.


Lapis Nutella
(Makes 1 cake.)

Ingredients:
500 gm butter
180 gm caster sugar
1tsp ovelette
1 tsp vanilla paste (I added.)

10 eggs (large)
1 tin (397gm) sweetened condensed milk

260 gm Hong Kong flour (I used cake flour.)
100 gm Horlicks powder (malted milk powder)
220 gm Nutella spread

180 – 200gm Nutella spread (to top the Nutella layers)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven (grill or top heat only) at about 180 deg C. (Refer to my post here for more tips on baking lapis cakes.)
  2. Grease & line the bottom of a baking pan. (10x7 inch or 8x8 inch.) 
  3. Combine butter, sugar & ovelette in a mixing bowl & cream until fluffy, about 10 minutes.
  4. Add in eggs, one at a time, & continue mixing until well blended.
  5. Reduce the speed of beater & add in condensed milk, continue mixing.
  6. Reduce speed to the lowest possible & add in flour & Horlicks in 3 parts. Mix until well blended.
  7. Divide batter into 2 parts. Leave 1 part  plain & add Nutella to the other part.  (I weighed 1 part 220g lesser than the other & added Nutella to the lighter part. In this way, I would not end up with too much excess Nutella batter.)
  8. Pour 90g of plain batter into baking pan. Spread  the batter evenly & bake for about 3-5 minutes or until the layer turns golden brown. Remove the pan & press the layer with a lapis cake presser to even out the layer & pop any bubbles. 
    .... a lapis presser.
  9. Next, pour 90g of Nutella batter & spread it out. Then spoon Nutella spread onto the batter (as shown in the above picture). Bake until cooked. 
  10. Continue with plain & then Nutella batter, until finish.
  11. When finished, turn the cake onto a wire rack & leave to cool before slicing & serving.
Recipe by Rozzan.

I'm linking this post to the Little Thumbs Up  August (flour) event,  organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY  and hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe.

14 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

This is ultra awesome

sham said...

Hi
What is a lapis cake presser ? How does it look where to buy in sg? Thanks.

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Hey Faeez, you make some of the most beautiful lapis I have seen, and I am really mad about lapis, as well as Nutella, but I doubt I can ever make them as nice as yours!! Thanks for linking :)

Zoe said...

Hi Faeez,

Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri!!!

This is a beautiful cake for your celebration. I can lots of efforts requiring to bake this :D

Zoe

咩咩 said...

Wow~ very nice!

Faeez said...

Sham, I've updated the entry to include the picture of a cake presser. You can buy it from Phoon Huat or any stores that sell baking supplies.

Faeez said...

Hi Diana, thanks for the compliment & thank you too for hosting this month LTU event. :)

Rumbling Tummy said...

I have yet to sum up my courage to bake a lapis. YOurs is beautifully baked.

mui mui said...

Hi Faeez.,
This is indeed a can't go wrong cake.
You baked it so beautifully.
Thanks for sharing to LTU.
Hope I'm not too late to wish
Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri :)
mui

sham said...

Thank u so much! Gonna try making!

Anonymous said...

Hi faeez in UK they don't sell lapis presser Wat alternative can I use tq

Faeez said...

Hi, you can use a flat-bottom drinking glass. That was what I used long time ago before cake presser was invented. Happy baking! :)

Anonymous said...

Salam, im gonna make this one soon. mintak izin for using this recipe and if they turn good then i hope u dont mind if i sell this cake by using ur recipe. thank you

Faeez said...

Salam,
You are welcome. Sure you can use the recipe. All recipes in my blog are for sharing.... so tak mintak izin pun takpe.. Good luck! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...