Saturday 26 April 2014

Orange Chiffon Cake

I made this Orange Chiffon Cake two weeks ago. I decided to bake it after I saw Sonia posted hers. Sonia's chiffon cake looks so beautiful.... the texture reminds me of the cotton cheesecake. Mind didn't turn out as cottony as hers, so it means I still need to practise my whipping skill for the meringue. But I'm still happy with my chiffon cake!


This recipe is definitely a keeper. However, if I were to use it again, I'll make some slight changes. Firstly, I would add more sugar to the egg yolks as the cake was not sweet enough for me, I think it's because of the orange juice. I would also use the rind of a whole orange & add a tsp of Sunquick orange concentrate for a more intense orange flavour. 


Orange Chiffon Cake

3 egg yolks (A size) - at room temperature
15g caster sugar (Next time, I would add more.)
45g orange juice (I used juice from 1 orange.)
40g corn oil (I used canola oil.)
1/2 tsp orange rind (I would use rind from the whole orange in future.)
70g cake flour (sifted)

3 egg whites (A size) - at room temperature
45g caster sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice (I didn't use.)

Method:
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolk & 15g of sugar & immediately whisk until light.
  2. Add in corn oil, mix well. Then add in orange juice & rind & stir well to combine. 
  3. Add in flour, stir to well combine. Set aside.
  4. In a clean & dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites and lemon juice till foamy. Gradually, add in the 45g of sugar in 3 batches and continue to beat until soft peak is formed. (It takes about 4-5 mins using speed 3 if using a hand mixer.)
  5. Take 1/3 of meringue & use a hand whisk to mix well & lighten the egg yolk batter. 
  6. Now change hand whisk to a silicone spatula, fold in another third of the meringue & gently mix till slightly combined. Fold in the rest of the  meringue and gently mix till well combined.
  7. Pour cake batter into a 7-inch tube chiffon pan. Fill batter only until about 80% full.  This allows the cake to rise while baking & avoid shrinkage. Tap pan on the counter top to remove air trapped inside the batter.
  8. Bake at pre-heated oven at 170 deg C on the middle rack for 35mins - 40mins  or until skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  9. Remove the cake from the oven & immediately invert (turn upside down) the pan and place on a bottle or flat surface so it is suspended over the counter. Let the cake cool completely before removing from pan (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
  10. To remove the cake from the pan, run a plastic or metal thin spatula around the inside of the tube pan and center core. 
Recipe by Sonia @ Nasi Lemak Lover.
I'm submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal.

3 comments:

ann low said...

Hi Faeez, Your orange chiffon cake looks pretty and soft. Wish I can have a slice now.
Thank you for linking to LTU :)

Gee® said...

Wow! mabelesnyaaa....

Zoe said...

Hi Faeez,

I think that you are too critical with your chiffon cake. It looks very nice to me :D

Zoe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...