Another must-have Hari Raya delicacy for many houses is Steamed Fruit Cake. There are a few versions of the recipe but I'm using the one by Chef Hamidah Rusdi, another weekend baking teacher whose classes I attended a few times even though I had to travel all the way to Chua Chu Kang! Well...when there's a will, there's always a way......no need to give excuses..haha...
I don't think I have to tell you how delicious this cake is. But I must say this recipe produces a very moist and dark cake.....just the way I like it! There's no need to add colouring & it keeps very well too! Mixing it is easy too...no need any mixer. But wrapping the pan is a bit tedious but is an important step so that the cake is not soaked in water. Chef Hamidah did teach us a simpler method, i.e. using the transparent plastic container. But I'm not comfortable with the idea of steaming a plastic container for 4 hours.....yes, this cake needs to be steamed for 4 hours! Are you game to go for a long steam.....?
Update: Please refer to my updated post for tips to prepare this cake.
Steamed Fruit Cake
250g butter (softened)
100 fine sugar
1 tsp ( I used 1/2 tsp) ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp (I used 1/2 tsp) orange essence
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
B(combined & sifted)
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
100g mixed dried mixed fruits
200g dried black currants
50g walnuts (chopped into small pieces) - I added
20g plain flour
200g castor sugar (for burnt sugar)
- Heat a steamer over medium heat.
- Combine A, except eggs, mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs, one at a time, & blend well. Do not overmix.
- Add B &mix well.
- Add C & mix well. Do not overmix.
- Prepare burnt sugar by placing D into a heavy skillet over medium high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon as sugar melts. When it becomes very dark brown, remove from heat and carefully add to the fruit cake mixture. (NB: the burnt sugar will harden almost immediately, the hardened ones can still be added to the batter in the baking pan.)
- Pour mixture into a lined & greased baking pan (8x8x4").
Cover the pan with a grease paper & tie the pan with a string ( I used rafia string).Then cover the grease paperpan with aluminium foil & tie the pan with a string again. Make sure the pan is water-proof.
- Steam the cake for 4 hours. Then remove pan from steamer. Leave pan aside for 10 minutes. Then remove cake from pan. Leave to cool.