Thursday 27 December 2012

Madeleines.... again.

I was pleasantly surprised  when I saw madeleine pans at Daiso, Petaling Jaya Bukit Indah in Johore.  I don't remember seeing it in any of the stores in Singapore. Come to think of it, I don't often go to Daiso because most of the things there are so pretty and cheap that I'm always afraid that I'll put too many things in the basket..... Usually, I would enter the store with something in mine & just focus on what  I need to buy. Otherwise, I would find myself overwhelmed ( & get headache, literally!) by the amazing range of stuff. Anyway, the pan looked pretty & it's made in Japan! Just look at it here if you've not seen it before. Besides, it's only RM5! That's peanut compared to the madeleine pans I've ever seen before. 


Actually, at first, I was hesitant to buy it as I was skeptical if such a cheap pan could do a good job, considering that, as I've mentioned in my previous entry,  they don't normally come cheap. But since it's just RM5, I decided to just grab 2 of them. And I'm not disappointed.... they are not too bad. I like the petite size of my madeleines when using the pan compared to the bigger gula melaka madeleines produced when using the moulds  from Sun Lik. Besides, the madeleines slid out quite easily from the moulds. My only complain is, the groove in the cavity is not deep enough. So the clam-shell pattern on the little cakes is not as distinct as I would like it to be. Well, am I allowed to complain for such a bargain pan....?


Lemon Madeleines
Recipe by Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted, plus more for pans
1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted (not self-rising) - I used top flour.
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons total)
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter two madeleine pans; set aside. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
  2. Put eggs, egg yolks, granulated sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest and juice in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and thickened, about 5 minutes. Mix in butter.  Using a spatula, fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Let rest 30 minutes.
  3. Pour batter into buttered pans, filling the molds 3/4 full. Bake cookies, rotating pans halfway through, until edges are crisp and golden, 7 to 8 minutes.
  4. Let cookies cool slightly in pans on wire racks. Invert, and unmold. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Cook's Note:
Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to one day.

I'm submitting this entry to Cook Like A Star (December 2012, Martha Steward) organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Baby Sumo of Eat your heart out and Riceball of Riceball Eats.

                                                       Photobucket


4 comments:

Mel said...

Hi Faeez
Ah ha, no complain since it is cheap pan from Daiso.....yeah you are right, the clam shell pattern is not that deep impact after the madeleines baked. But good mould has a price to pay too. Your madeleines must be full of lemon flavour.

Gee® said...

wow!!

Baby Sumo said...

Hehe I also have these madeleine pans from Daiso, think they are pretty good!

Happy New Year!

Zoe said...

Hi Faeez,

Sorry that I was late visiting your post as I was away for a short Christmas break.

I go crazy whenever I go to Singapore Daiso... Madeleines pans are usually quite expensive and yours seems to be a great bargain!

Your madeleines looks good! No complains :D

Happy 2013!

Zoe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...