I've officially started my baking for Eid. Every year, layered cakes are always on top of my list of things to bake for Eid. Some of you may wonder why I start so early....Well, since I'm working, I really need to organise myself to avoid rushing & late-nights. Besides, I normally also bake some for my mum & MIL. Also, my sis used to help me with the bakings. But since she's busy with her young kids, I've been baking alone the past few years. Luckily I have my maid to help me with the cookies...that really helps alot.
Fruit Cocktail Layered Cake has always been one of my favourites since I learnt to bake it in 1994 from a baking class conducted by Wannah Alshatrie. The cake is very moist & delicious. I've learnt a lot from Wannah especially the dos & don'ts of baking layered cakes as she was very generous with her tips. She's now stopped conducting classes...that's a waste...
I learnt the technique of storing cakes from Aini Salim. I normally cut my cake into 4 blocks. Then I wrap each block with a cling wrap, then with an aluminium foil and finally with a newspaper. I also labelled every single block. Then I store them in the freezer. They are good for months. Then I'll transfer 1 block to the fridge for short term storing.
Fruit Cocktail Layered Cake
2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence ( I used vanilla paste)
22 nos egg yolk
4 nos egg white
250g granulated sugar
1 tbsp ovelette
125g plain flour (I used cake flour)
a few drops of red colour
a few drops of raspberry essence (I added)
1 can fruit cocktail (drained & cut into small pieces)
- Preheat grill at 160 deg C. Line the bottom of an 8x8 or 7x10 inch pan with a lightly-greased paper. Do not grease side of pan.
- Cream A until white & creamy.
- Combine B into a mixing bowl and beat on high speed for about 8 minutes until thick.
- Add A & mix well.
- Fold in C.
- Divide the mixture into 2 parts. Add D into 1 part & mix well. Leave the other part plain.
- Pour 2 big spoons of plain batter into pan & spread batter evenly. Bake for about 1 minute untill the top is golden brown. Then pour another 2 spoonful of plain batter & bake.
- Pour 2 big spoons of red batter into pan & spread batter evenly.Then scatter the fruits & bake for about 1.5 to 2 minutes untill cook & the top is golden brown. Ensure that the batter surrounding the fruit is cooked. Then pour another 2 spoonful of red batter & scatter fruits. Bake till cooked.
- Repeat the process untill finish. Then, using upper & lower fire, bake whole cake for about 10 minutes.