I always feel good after a good work-out at the gym. The whole body feels really energised! Must be the warm muscles & the blood pumping! Very often, the challenge is to make the time to go to the gym & ignore the excuses not to head there. It always feels good too after spending time with friends & doing what we love doing; talking, laughing, eating & baking! That's what I did with my friends, Salina & Nura, last week. We talked, laughed, ate, baked & ate again!
After tasting my Lapis Prune Ice-cream recently, Salina requested that I conduct a lapis- making training session. So last week, we met at my place. Nura also brought her daughter & 2 nieces along. We made 2 types of lapis, Lapis Legit Betawi & Lapis Strawberry Ice-cream.
|The ladies made these.....not bad.......:)|
As you can see, my trainees, all 5 of them, did a good job! Although it was their first time, the cake turned out very presentable. They liked eating them too! I had to cut the cake when it was still hot because the girls couldn't wait to taste them as the smell was just so irresistible! It was a day well spent!
|The trainees........baking with a smile....|
The Lapis Legit Betawi recipe is by Wannah Alshatrie, my weekend baking class instructor & the Lapis Strawberry Ice-cream recipe is by Aini Salim.
20 egg yolk (use large eggs)
8 egg white
300 castor sugar
150g cake flour (sifted with baking powder)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp spekok powder
20g ground almond
- Preheat oven at 160 deg C. Use top heat only.
- Cream butter until white & creamy.
- If using a big cake mixer, combine eggs & sugar in a clean & dry mixing bowl & beat until thick & fluffy. If using a hand-held whisk, beat egg white in a dry & clean mixing bowl until soft peak. Then add sugar gradually & beat until stiff peak. Then add egg yolk one at a time. Continue mixing until mixture becomes thick & fluffy.
- Add butter & mix thoroughly. (I used a hand whisk.)
- Fold in flour,baking powder & spekok powder. Mix gently but thoroughly.
- Pour 2 ladles of batter into a 10x7 lined & greased baking pan (Grease & line bottom of pan only). Grill for about 1-2 minutes till cook & top turns golden brown. (You may need to adjust the temperature of your oven such that the layer will be cooked in about 2 minutes) .Remove baking pan from oven. Press the top of cake gently with a lapis presser (or flat glass) to pop up any bubbles & produce a neat lapis.
- Repeat step 6 until finished.
NB: Once you are done with mixing batter (step 5), do not stir it anymore. Just scoop the top part of batter when layering the cake. For this recipe, you'll notice watery part of batter at the bottom of bowl. Discard this part. Don't use it.