The soft & moist texture of the sponge cake used for my Strawberry Shortcake I made two weeks ago reminded me of the cotton cheesecake which I've not baked for sometime. Yesterday, I managed to bake it in the morning.
The cake is super delicious! Unlike the regular cheesecake, this cake is spongy, moist & tastes very light. Preparing it is quite similar to preparing chiffon cake. Like the regular cheesecake, it is baked using the water bath method. I thought it would taste better if eaten with chocolate ganache & strawberry. I was right! The rich ganache & fresh strawberry provide a good balance!
Japanese Soft Cotton CheesecakeAdapted from Diana's Desserts
250g/9 oz. cream cheese
50g/2 oz. butter
100 ml/3 fluid oz. fresh milk
6 egg yolks
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla paste (I added.)
60g/2 oz. cake flour /superfine flour (sifted)
20g/1 oz. cornflour (cornstarch)
140g/5 oz. fine granulated sugar
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. (I used a hand whisk to stir.) Cool the mixture.
- Add in egg yolks, lemon juice & vanilla to the cream cheese mixture & mix well.
- Fold in flour. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Fold in the egg white mixture into the cheese mixture.
- Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch cake pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper. Wrap bottom of pan with aluminium foil to prevent water from seeping into the pan.
- Pour cake batter into pan & bake in a water bath for 1 hour 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 160 degrees C (325 degrees F). (I baked for 30 minutes in my small oven.)
- Remove pan from oven & leave to cool slightly for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan & leave to cool completely or store in fridge.
- To serve, slice cake & pour ganache over & serve with sliced fresh strawberry.
Chocolate GanacheSource: Creative Making of Cakes by Alex Goh.
270ml whipping cream
Melt chocolate over double boiler. Cook whipping cream till boiling. Pour into chocolate & mix till well blended. Add butter & mix till well combined.