Wednesday 8 June 2011

Oreo Malted Milk Gelato.....

          This is my second ice-cream post although I've actually made ice-cream a few times. While I'm typing this entry, the Oreo Malted Milk Gelato is almost depleting.... What did I say about my hungry bears......? The good thing is they like my ice-cream and I feel good. But taking the pictures was a challenge. For one, Amir & Maisur kept bugging me while I was trying very hard to exercise my creativity...."Can we eat the ice-cream now? Can I eat the Oreos now? Wait! Don't touch that! Move aside!" Just imagine the noise....

       
           And today's weather is  not helping either! It's so hot and humid that I had to work very fast. After taking some shots of the ice-cream in the big container, I had to put it back into the freezer before I could take more photos later. I even put the small cup I was going to use in the freezer first!
        
         
            The first time I made malted milk ice-cream, I used the recipe from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. It was just too rich and sweet to my taste. So this time, I've adapted the recipes by Lebovitz and Toffance Kopfer, the authour of Making Artisan Gelato.  I used Kopfer's basic gelato recipe and added half the amount of malt used by Lebovitz in his Malted Milk Ice-cream recipe. I also added Oreo cookies. It tastes much better. It's rich but not too sweet, although I would add a bit more malt powder the next time I make this gelato.



Ingredients:
2 cups (470ml).............................whole milk
1/2 cup (100g)............................. granulated sugar
4 (large) .......................................egg yolks
1 cup (235ml)...............................dairy whipping cream
1/3 cup (45g)................................malt milk powder (I used Horlicks & will add 25g more in future)
1/2 tsp..........................................pure vanilla paste
6...................................................Oreo cookies (Remove cream & break into small pieces. 3 to 4 hours before churning the chilled mixture in the ice-cream maker, place cookies in the freezer.)


Method:
  1. Combine the milk and about 1/2 of the sugar in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until it registers 77 deg C (170 deg F) on an instant-read thermometer.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining sugar until foamy and slightly thickened.
  3. Carefully and slowly, pour about half of the hot milk to the eggs, whisking continuously. Pour the heated egg mixture into the saucepan with the hot milk and return to the stove top.
  4. Stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, cook the mixture over medium heat until it registers 85 deg C (185 deg F) on an instant-read thermometer or is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon or spatula,  Do not allow the mixture to boil. Remove from the heat. If the mixture is not completely smooth, emulsify it by using a hand whisk or stand  blender and blending it until smooth, before proceeding to the next step.
  5. Combine the malted milk powder, whipping cream and vanilla paste in a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl and stir until the powder dissolves and set it over an ice bath (i.e. a bowl filled with ice & cold water).
  6. Pour the heated custard through a strainer into the cold cream and stir until fully incorporated and the mixture has fully cooled. Then remove the bowl of  mixture from the ice bath, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
  7. When ready, pour the chilled mixture into the  ice-cream maker and process according to manufacturer's specifications. Add in the frozen cookies about 10 minutes before the end of the churning process.
  8. Remove the finished gelato from the ice-cream maker and place it in a plastic container. Cover with plastic wrap or silicone paper by pressing the wrap or paper gently against the top of the gelato.Affix lid to container and place in the freezer to fully harden before serving.
Makes about 1 litre.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...