Saturday 16 July 2011

Spicy Almond Butter Cake

          I love today's weather. It started with the rain late last night and so this morning, it was cool and breezy....... Afternoon is just slightly cloudy & still breezy, a perfect weather for a picnic at the beach or park! For me, a good part of the day was spent  going in and out of the house.... At 8, I sent my son, Maisur, to his madrasah class & came back. Then went out again to accompany the other son, Amir, for his tuition class at United Square. In the meantime, my daughter, Maliah, fetched Maisur from class. Actually today is a typical Saturday for me except that I don't get to use the car  as my husband needs it to ferry his parents to JB. So it took slightly longer as we  travelled on the bus & train....



           Yesterday after work, I baked Spicy Almond Butter Cake. I got this recipe when I attended a baking class conducted by a lady, Nurul Imah, at her place about a year ago. Nurul is a generous lady.....she often attached bonus recipes for her students. She even threw in samples of the cakes. And this was one of her bonus recipes. I remember eating & liking this cake! So as I was looking through my collection of recipes, I decided to try this.

Nodic Ware Rose (left) & Tea Cake Pan (right).
        
          This lightly-spiced cake is delicious. Keep it overnight, and it tastes better as the flavour matures & it becomes more moist. I used the Nodic Ware mini pans - the rose pan & the tea cake pan. But I'm not sure why the bottoms turned out differently. Only thing I did differently was, because there wasn't enough batter to fill up the tea cake pan, I poured some water into the empty mould before putting the pan into the oven. Wonder if that was the cause.... Anyway, try this recipe....who knows this could be one of the cakes on your table during the Eid celebration.



A
250g................ butter (softened)
60g.................. dairy whipping cream
1 tsp................. vanilla essence ( I used pure vanilla paste)
50g................... honey
30g................... ground almond

B
300g ................. self-raising flour (I used cake flour plus 1/2 tsp of double-acting baking powder)
1/4 tsp..............  nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp.............. .cinnamon powder

C
220g.................. castor sugar ( I used 200g)
6 ........................egg white

D
10 ......................egg yolk

Method:
  1. Turn on the oven & set the temperature at 180 deg C.
  2. Grease a 9x9x3 inch pan ( I used the Nodic mini pans, so I didn't grease them). Line bottom of the pan with grease paper.
  3. Combine A & whisk until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
  4. Combine B & sieve. Set aside.
  5. In a clean & dry mixing bowl, combine C & beat until stiff peaks formed. Then add D, one at a time. Continue beating until thoroughly mixed. Stop beating.
  6. Add in A & using a hand whisk, gently mix thoroughly.
  7. Then fold in B until .
  8. Pour mixture into the greased pan & bake for about 40-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...