Thursday 14 February 2013

Chocolate Walnut Cake

I haven't baked this Chocolate Walnut Cake for a long time. The recipe was shared by a cousin many years ago. Don't know why but I just felt like baking something familiar, simple & delicious. And this cake came to my mind. 


What a delight..... it's soft, delicious, not too rich & yet not too light.... just perfect. Except... it didn't look as perfect as I wanted it to be. First, I didn't grease my bundt pan... big mistake! As a result, part of my cake was stuck to the pan. Secondly, I wanted to do the wavy effect that Roz did with her cake. Obviously, I didn't get the effect with my cake. Luckily nobody had complained about its look. In fact, I had good reviews about how good it tasted. 




Chocolate Walnut Cake

Ingredients:
283g unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence (I used pure vanilla paste.)
8 cold eggs (cold eggs will produce thick batter)
10 oz (283g) sugar
1 tbsp ovalette
2 tsp baking powder
8 oz (227g) cake flour - sifted with baking powder
4 oz (113g) walnut (chopped)
4 oz (113g) chocolate block (grated) - I replaced this with cocoa powder.

Method:
  1. Line & grease a 10 x 10- inch baking pan. Set aside. (I used bundt pan.) 
  2. Combine butter, salt, condensed milk & vanilla in a mixing bowl & cream until pale. Set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar,ovalette & flour & beat at high speed until thick for about 8 minutes. (If you are using a hand-held mixer, beat eggs, sugar & ovalette until thick & pale. Then fold in flour.)
  4. Add creamed butter to egg mixture & mix thoroughly.
  5. Pour 1/3 of batter into the baking pan. Then sprinkle 1/3 of walnut & 1/3 of chocolate. Pour another 1/3 of batter & sprinkle with another third of walnut & chocolate. Finish with the rest of batter, walnut & chocolate.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for the first 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 160 deg C for the next 20 minutes.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...