Sunday 6 November 2011

Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Adha....

             I woke up at 5 this morning without the alarm clock's help. I think I had too much sleep.... The early morning pour could be a factor too. As I peered through the window & saw the heavy rain, I couldn't help but wondered which part of Singapore was flooding. I was also hoping the rain would not drag too long as the Aidil Adha prayers & qurban ceremony would be carried out..... Alhamdullillah, the rain stopped just after 6 when the clouds started to  clear up, giving way to the  rising sun. What a beautiful & cool morning.......


          Good thing I woke up early.  I managed to make Nona Manis Steamed Cake this morning although I planned to make this & another cake yesterday. I was too tired to bake anything yesterday, after waking up at 4 in the morning & was up & about the whole day. This recipe was shared by a Warna listerner  a few years ago but I didn't note down her name or which programme she was on. I just scribbled the recipe while I was waiting for somebody in the car. I've also made some changes to the method.


Nona Manis Steamed Cake
Source: Warna 94.5, Mediacorp Radio.

Ingredients:

For burnt sugar syrup:
400g  coarse granulated sugar
450g water

Cake:
250 butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
300g granulated sugar
3 whole eggs
3 tsp bicarbonate of  soda
500g plain flour - sifted together with the bicarbonate of  soda
200ml evaporated milk
burnt sugar syrup


Method:
  1. Grease a 10 x 10 inch baking pan & line base & side of pan with baking paper. Set aside.
  2. To prepare burnt sugar syrup, heat sugar slowly in clean & dry saucepan or skillet, stirring constantly, until sugar is completely melted. When melted sugar turns dark brown &  frothy, add water slowly & carefully, stirring constantly. Continue cooking until sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
  3. Whip butter, granulated sugar & vanilla until creamy. 
  4. Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
  5. Fold in flour alternately with evaporated milk.
  6. Finally pour in burnt sugar syrup & mix until well blend.
  7. Pour batter into prepared pan. 
  8. Lay a sheet of foil on the work surface & cover with a sheet of baking paper. Make a large pleat in the middle.
  9. Place, paper-side-down, across top of baking pan & tie string securely aroung rim of pan. Then adjust the pleat gently such that  it forms a dome shape.
  10. Place on a steamer & steam for 2 hours.
  11. After 2 hours, remove pan from steamer. Then remove foil & baking paper. Leave pan aside for about 15 minutes.
  12. Remove cake from pan by inventing it on a wire rack & slowly remove paper lining. Leave cake to cool completely before cutting & serving.

2 comments:

Edith said...

3 years ago, I was given such cake and I love it. Was told that it needs 4 hours of steaming time.

Will KIV yours. Thanks for sharing.

Faeez said...

Hi Edith,
The one that requires 4 hrs of steaming is Steamed Fruit Cake. You may refer to the recipe I posted in August. This is equally delicious.Texture & taste are even better the next day. Please try making this & tell me how it turns out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...