Saturday 10 June 2017

Hello blogging!!

Hello there! It's been a long time... and it took a while for me to get used to the updated blogger again!
Let's get to business. I'm going to share the recipe of Ondeh-ondeh cookies that I made yesterday. I'm making this a fast one, so I'm just using the photos I took with my handphone. I think they look good enough. The recipe is from a baking class I attended recently. Ondeh-ondeh cookies are quite popular these days, so I'm sure many of you would like to bake them yourselves for Hari Raya.  Happy baking!


Ondeh-Ondeh Cookies
Dough:
250g butter (soft)
180g caster sugar
½ tsp salt
50g milk powder
40g egg yolks (from 2-5 eggs)
½ tsp vanilla essence
½ tbsp pandan paste (I used Koepoe Koepoe brand pandan essence)

80g chopped almond (lightly toasted)
30g desiccated coconut (ground till fine)
*360g plain flour (I used pastry flour, aka Top flour)
*30g glutinous rice flour (tepung pulut)
(*sifted and combined)


Method:
  1. Combine butter, sugar, salt, milk powder, egg yolks, vanilla and pandan essence in a bowl and mix until well combined.
  2. Add in chopped almond and desiccated coconut and mix thoroughly.
  3. Add in flour & mix thoroughly to form a dough.
  4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface or between two pieces of plastics & roll it out to about 3/4 cm thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 cm apart onto baking pan lined with grease paper.
  5. Leave cookies in room temperature for about 3 hours so that the shape of the cookies will be maintained when baking.
  6. Preheat oven to 150 deg C. Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes in the preheated oven, turning the tray halfway through, until lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  7. Prepare melted butterscotch. Dip the top of cookie into melted butterscotch.
  8. Decorate half the cookie with gula Melaka bits and half with desiccated coconut.
  9. Leave the cookies in room temperature or leave them in the fridge for just about 5 minutes until the butterscotch hardens. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Topping:
10 - 20g hard fat or cocoa butter (I used hard fat.)
200g butterscotch chips (or compound white chocolate if butterscotch is not available)
60g gula Melaka (sliced into small pieces)
100g dessicated coconut

Method:
  1. Melt hard fat or cocoa butter using microwave oven or double-boil method. Set aside.
  2. Melt butterscotch chips, also using microwave oven or double-boil method. Add in melted fat and stir until well combined.
(PS: I've tried melting the chips using both methods. I find melting using the microwave is so much easier. I don't even have to melt the fat separately. Just place both ingredients in a bowl and heat it up for 10-20 seconds and stir. Then heat it for additional 10 seconds until melted.)

Recipe by Nurul Imah.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...