As usual, as the Chinese New Year is drawing nearer, I notice bottles of cookies & snacks here & there at the workplace.... I also hear updates of what's baking, frying & buying for the celebrations.
My colleague, Sharon, has been raving about the crispy crab sticks she made. I was not aware of such snack before she told me about it. She encouraged me to make it because she emphasised, confidently, that it's not only delicious, it's also very easy to make! It's also way cheaper to make it at home because, apparently, it's on sale for more than $10 per bottle! So I made it two nights ago & again this morning. Sharon is right, it's one of the easiest snack to make! But beware, like any delicious snack, it's very addictive!
Before I leave you with the recipe, I would like to wish all Chinese readers Happy Lunar New Year! Have a joyous & safe celebration!
imitation crab sticks (thawed, if frozen)
vegetable oil for deep frying
- Shred the crab sticks into thin strips.
- Heat oil over medium fire.
- Place shredded crab sticks, a small amount at a time, into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
- Once brown, remove & place on paper kitchen towel to drain.
- Leave to cool down completely. Store in an air-tight container.
- Fry over medium fire, not high, as the crackers will turn brown quite fast.
- Don't fry too much of the shredded sticks at one time so that it's easier to separate & turn the shredded pieces when frying in the oil.