Monday 26 March 2012

I'm going nuts........

Good afternoon everyone.... Did you have a good lunch? I haven't had mine yet. Catching my breath as I just came home after spending half the day at the Singapore Zoo as a parent volunteer to accompany Maisur's class. As expected, we walked a lot & the humid weather didn't help. One student expressed her wish that there are 3 seasons in Singapore & that there is no summer .....


I told you that I baked 2 cookies on Saturday. The second was another nut cookie, & this time it's Hazelnut Shortbread. I made just a slight change to the recipe by Linda. My dough was quite sticky so I added some 15g of flour. I flattened the balls of dough into flat round cookies & stuck whole hazelnut on each of them using some egg white. After baking, I thought the cookies looked pale, so I decided to pipe chocolate on them. Only just now I realised that I was supposed to toss them in icing sugar! No wonder.... It certainly tasted much better with the icing sugar. Even then, next time,  I would add a bit more salt to the dough... a pinch is just too little.


..... so the pictures you see hear are the ones without the coat of icing sugar as they were taken yesterday.


HAZELNUT BUTTER COOKIES
Recipe from Linda's Kitchen Lab.


Ingredients:
65 unsalted butter*
15 g icing (confectioners) sugar
45 g hazelnuts, toasted, skins removed and roughly chopped
75 g plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted - I used 90g
Pinch of salt
Pinch of baking powder
Sifted icing (confectioners) sugar to toss
* Use the best quality European (or European style) unsalted butter you can find or afford.
Method:
  1. In a medium sized bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the nuts and stir. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to incorporate.
  3. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
  4. Take 1 T of the cookie mix, roll into a ball and slightly flatten onto a parchment lined baking tray. Repeat until all of the dough has been used up.
  5. Bake the cookies in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes. Carefully transfer each cookie using a large spatula onto a wire rack until fully cool.
  6. Once fully cool, toss in icing (confectioners) sugar and set aside. 

2 comments:

lena said...

both your peanut butter and these cookies sound delicious and you're really a good baker and decorator! I've missed so many of your posts, so i'm going to follow you fr now on.

Faeez said...

Hi Lena,
They are delicious, esp the peanut butter. As for the hazelnut cookies, you really need to toss them into icing sugar first.... I really love baking & hv been doing it since I was a teenager... that's why. Thanks for following... really appreciate :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...